**COVID-19 NEWS UPDATE**
The Oceola Fish and Game Club will be following the advice of Provincial and Federal Health Advisors and are suspending all OFGC Club activities and gatherings until further notice, including:
• Indoor range
• Meetings & Clubhouse
The upper range will remain open. Please see below important information if you will be using it:
1. The Club does not have the resources to regularly clean shooting stands, tables, other surfaces or the toilet. While the Club is not encouraging members to use the upper range at this time, any members who choose to use the range ought to bring their own cleaning materials and use them.
2. Please respect the 2 meter distance rule from other attendees and recognize this will reduce the number of available shooting positions.
A news update will be issued on April 1st for any new and ongoing information. We will continuously monitor the situation and reopen activities as soon as it is safe to do so.
Please remember this is in the best interest of our members and community to keep everyone safe in these difficult times.
Due to other community event cancellations taking place throughout the Okanagan recently in response to the COVID-19 virus, we feel it is in the best interest of our members and community that we postpone this month’s General Meeting. Topics and discussions for March will be included in April’s General Meeting, however, please keep an eye on our updates as changes may occur as the global situation safety protocol evolves. We thank you for understanding as we do our part to keep our community safe in these unprecedented circumstances.
In addition, the BC Wildlife Federation has cancelled the 2020 Annual General Meeting and Convention scheduled for April 1-4 in Nanaimo due to the COVID-19. They will be rescheduling for another date in 2020.
On a happier note! Upper range clean up has been scheduled for April 25th and 26th. Please save the date and look forward to more information to be posted in April’s newsletter, this will include start times and essentials to bring with you on the day of clean up. Lunch will be provided for volunteers. please go to Contact Us
and selected Upper Range
for contact reason. Hope to see you there!
Welcome to the second edition of the Oceola Fish and Game Club newsletter! Keeping our members and community informed about upcoming, current, and past events including volunteer opportunities.The 61st Annual Oceola Fish & Game Club banquet was a success!
This year’s annual banquet had all the fun and excitement one could hope for! Exciting prizes, delicious food and an amazing community and club turn out. From first time attendees to those that have been in attendance for more than 50 years, a memorable time was had by all. We enjoyed a night filled with amazing wins, dancing and a lot of laughs. Many were able to try out new game meat that they had never tried before such as sweet and sour cougar, pulled wild boar and venison meatloaf, just to name a few. Thank you to our wonderful catering crew, the Bohemian Café!
Key moments of the evening:
- The Sax Koyama Award is presented annually to an individual, recognizing their outstanding contribution to our community. The 2020 Sax Koyama award recipient was Robert (Bob) Rymarchuk, which was accepted by his wife Ursula Rymarchuk. Bob was both a charter member of the Rotary Club of Lake Country, and the Lake Country Chamber of Commerce, and served as president in both organizations. He was involved in both the establishment of the Lake Country Community Complex and the building of the Beasley soccer field and clubhouse. October 24, 1952 – February 2, 2020.
- Parliamentary Award was presented to Ron Taylor for his unwavering contributions and volunteering in multiple not-for-profit organizations and his endless efforts towards conservation and habitat restoration throughout the province.
This year 5% of proceeds from the banquet will go to Southern Interior Land Trust. SILT’s mandate is to protect and preserve sensitive fish and wildlife habitat for the benefit of all living things. A sincere thank you to all attendees, members, volunteers and sponsors. Without your generosity this event would not be possible. For those who were unable to attend, make room in your calendars….next year is a must! Sponsors
|Del Selin Gunsmith Ltd.
|Jade Bay Construction
||Interior Land Reclamation
||Interior Premium Plow Services
|Trout Waters Fly & Tackle
||A & C Sports Ltd.
||Hard Core Archery
|Great North Precision
|OFGC Core & PAL
||And many more...
- Upper range road. Although the bottom of the valley is sunny and warm the upper range still has over 3 feet of snow and road conditions are slick. 4 x 4 is recommended. The roads are plowed but ice is still very possible.
- Range Keys. Available online for $25. Keys can also be purchased at club general meetings or Monday, Wednesday, Friday at indoor range at 7:00pm for $20 cash. You must provide PAL or RPAL for range key. The $5 difference is to cover shipping and handling.
- Next General Meeting. March 18th @ 7:00pm at the Oceola Fish & Game clubhouse 11188 McGowan Road. Topics will include:
- Review of new BCWF packages for OFCG members
- Guest Speaker – Aron Chatten, Lake Country District Representative. Mr. Chatten will be speaking about the removal of trees and old culvert at the new middle school site, including the installation of a new bridge for Middle Vernon Creek.
- Volunteer Opportunities
- We are looking for volunteers with carpentry skills for a stair project at the upper range to access the trap shooting range. Anyone wanting to help please go to Contact Us and selected Upper Range for contact reason
- Upper range cleanup still to be scheduled for the spring as weather permits. On the day of clean up the range will be closed due to obvious safety reasons. Keep an eye on our news feed for updates. We would love to see some members involved in cleanup, if you are interested in volunteering please go to Contact Us and selected Upper Range for contact reason
Welcome to the Oceola Fish & Game Club's first news letter. Our intent is to improve communication with our members and keep everyone apprised of upcoming events, volunteer opportunities or requests for help from our membership. Initially we hope to publish once or twice a month. We welcome any positive suggestions regarding how we can best make use of this.
We request that you use the website contact for questions so it can be directed to the appropriate committee. We ask that you have patience and understanding waiting for responses to your queries as most of us work or have lives beyond the club.
- Banquet Tickets. Still several available. Please go to Contact Us and selected Banquet for contact reason
- Range keys. Are available online for $25 or from Weber & Markin Gunsmiths , Club general meetings or the indoor range Modays, Wednesdays, Fridays @ 7pm for $20 You must provide your PAL or RPAL number to get a range key. The $5 difference is to cover shipping and handling.
- Sign in at all ranges is mandatory for all people using our facilities. Name, membership # date and times. This applies to everyone without exception. It is an insurance and federal gov't requirement.
- Upper Range road. Brett does a fantastic job of snow clearing but keep in mind it is a steep mountain road and conditions change often. It is your responsibility to ensure you can get in or out. Please report any hazards like downed trees, etc. to the Club so we can deal with it. Please go to Contact Us and selected Upper Range for contact reason
- Upper range cleanup will be scheduled for some time in the spring . On that day/ days the range will be closed for obvious safety reasons. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. We will update as we know dates and times. Hot dogs and refreshments supplied. Families and children are encouraged to make a day of it.
- Trap range. Trap shooting is open to members and escorted guests Saturdays @ 10AM. No experience required tutoring and supervision supplied. Fees are $5 per round of 25 shots, guest fee for non members is + $5 /day. 12 gauge ammo is available for $10 / box. Or bring your own. Always lots of smiles and fun people to meet.Sunday shooting is temporarily suspended till spring when there will be more interest.
- March 6 We are hosting a private trap event from noon to approximately 4:00 pm. We could still use a couple more supervisor / volunteers for the event. if interested contact Bob Everatt @ email@example.com It's always fun.
- Next General Meeting: 7:00 pm March 18 at the Clubhouse 11188 McGowan Road– Topics will include: review of draft BCWF resolutions (if available),…..